It has now been about 6 weeks since we've moved our stuff to the new apartment on the South Side and this past week I finally started getting serious about moving in. The first order of business was clearing out the largest of the 3 bedrooms so that M and I could move our bed in and, for the first time since living together over the past 3 years, have enough space for both of us to be able to get out of our own side of the bed! This prospect was very exciting for us considering our previous bedrooms only allowed us to climb in from the bottom of the bed.
|Our old apartment shoe-box bedroom.|
|Not much of an improvement...|
Not only did we have to clear out all of our stuff from the larger room, but the wall under the window needed to be repaired from previous water damage, and then all the walls needed to be cleaned and repainted. Slowly but surely, I transferred box upon box from the soon-to-be bedroom out into the rest of the apartment.
|How did we get so much stuff?|
Once the room was cleared out, I cut out the damaged sections of wall and patched them with a few layers of plaster. Alfred was insistent on helping.
|Mom, where did you find this window?!? It's awesome.|
Once the plaster was dry and all of the walls were washed, it was finally time to paint! I had picked out paint colors weeks ago, but finally went to the store and picked up a couple gallons of Behr flat enamel from Home Depot in "Sparkling Spring." I also had some left over paint from our old apartment that I thought would make a nice accent color, so I used that in the closet. Nine hours later, this was the result.
It's still not quite finished...I'm playing with the idea of window films to give us more privacy, but still let light in; and I finally get to go out and buy a dresser and night stands (other things that don't fit in a shoe-box bedroom), then hang up photos and everything else. But for now it just feels good to be able to get out on the right side of the bed in the morning.